Cherry and Rhubarb Dessert
What You Need
• 3 cups of fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced and thawed
• ¼ cup of sugar
• 2 cans of cherry pie filling, approx. 600 grams each
• 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
• ¾ teaspoons of ground allspice
For The Almond Topping
• ¼ cup of almonds, sliced
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
• 3 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of sugar, separate
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• ½ teaspoon of almond extract
• 2 teaspoons of baking powder
How to Prepare
• Mix the sugar, allspice and cornstarch in a large bowl. Now mix the rhubarb and pie filling into this.
• Place this mixture into an ungreased 13 × 9 inch baking pan. Cover the pan and bake at 205 degrees Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes or till the rhubarb is tender.
• While this happens prepare the topping; mix the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix in the cream and the almond extract just till a soft dough forms.
• Using a spoon, drop the topping over the baked cherry mixture, sprinkle over the almonds and the remaining sugar and bake this further for 30 to 35 minutes while uncovered. Bake till the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
• Serve this warm and enjoy!