How to make a Strawberry and Kiwi Mini-Tart
For the Crust:
• 200 grams of lemon shortbread cookies or vanilla cookies
• 6 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
For Kiwi Curd:
• 3/4 cup of kiwi puree, from 3 to 4 kiwis
• 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• 1 1/2 tablespoons of meyer lemon juice
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• 3 eggs
• 3 egg yolks
• green food coloring (optional)
• Strawberries, for garnish
How to Prepare
• Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius
• Pulse the cookies in a food blender until very finely ground. This will leave you with about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. Add the melted butter and sugar to the crumbs and pulse until evenly moistened.
• Press the resulting crumb mixture into six small (3 3/4-inch) tartlet pans or one 9-inch tart pan. Bake the crumbs till they are lightly golden or for 4 to 5 minutes. Remember, if the crust has puffed, carefully press bottom back into place using a spoon or flat-bottomed glass. Let this cool completely.
To make the kiwi curd:
• Strain kiwi puree through a fine mesh sieve. Reserve seeds and set this aside. Now mix the kiwi puree with sugar and lemon juice in a moderately sized heavy-bottomed saucepan.
• Beat the eggs together with egg yolks and then add to kiwi mixture. Throw in the butter cubes and stir over moderate to low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the butter is melted and curd thickens. Make sure you do not let it boil.
• Drop in one drop of green food coloring if you want to give the curd a nice colour. Now press the curd through a fine mesh sieve in order to remove any lumps or cooked egg bits. If desired, add kiwi seeds back to curd, stirring until evenly distributed.
• Place the curd into the prepared tart crusts refrigerate until the curd is set which will take at least 1 to 2 hours.
• Garnish these mini tarts with strawberries and serve.