Mint Layered Brownies
What You Need:
For The Brownies
• 1/3 cup of baking cocoa
• 1 ½ cups of sugar
• ½ cup of unsweetened apple sauce
• 1 cup of all-purpose flour
• ½ cup of low-fat butter
• 2 eggs
• 55 to 60 grams of melted unsweetened chocolate
• 2 egg whites
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For The Mint Layer
• ½ to ¼ teaspoons of peppermint extract
• 1/3 cup of softened low-fat butter
• 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
• 2 drops of green food colouring, if desired
For The Icing
• 6 tablespoons of butter
• 1 cup (approx. 170 grams) of semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Prepare:
• Set your oven to 177 degrees Celsius and coat a 13 by 9 inch baking with cooking spray.
• Whisk the butter and sugar in a large bowl till the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and then the egg whites; remember to beat well after each addition. Now beat in the chocolate, applesauce and vanilla; the mixture will seem to be curdled.
• Mix the flour, salt and cocoa and stir them into the previous mixture just till the ingredients have blended.
• Pour this into the baking pan and bake for 22 to 28 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool this completely on a cooling rack.
The Mint Layer
• Beat the butter in a small bowl till it is fluffy. Add the confectioner’s sugar into this along with the peppermint extract and the food colouring (optional) and beat till the mixture is smooth. Spread this mixture over the cooled brownies and refrigerate till it is set.
• Melt the chocolate and the butter in a microwave and stir till the mixture is smooth. Carefully pour it over the top and refrigerate again till the icing is set.
• Cut into bars and serve!